Skip to main content

Review of "How Adobe Flash, once the face of the web, fell to the brink of obscurity—and why it’s worth saving"

In this article the author explains how Flash was the first reliable way to add interest like animation and audio to websites. It also guaranteed that the website would look the same on any computer. But do to the fact that Steve Jobs said that it would not be supported by the I-phone because he said HTML 5 was better the amount of people using it decreased dramatically. This was because of the misconception that HTML 5 could do everything that Flash could do but it just was not true because HTML 5 was not able to do as much with videos and animation. In spite of this the drop in users prompted Adobe in 2011 to stop producing Flash for Android and creating a new product called Edge Animate, a way to create HTML 5 content. Later in 2015 the product was re-branded as Animate CC. Even with its flaws flash is still being used by Facebook to run its very popular games. Google on the other hand has announced that the new Chrome will automatically have flash disabled. Because of this it is likely that in the future Flash content may not be able to be  viewed at all, which is why some people are trying to preserve it by transferring it to newer programs. The author concluded that Flash is on the edge of extinction and that if people don't preserve it it may never be able to be viewed by future generations. The applications of this to web designers is that we should move away from flash but try to preserve it. Overall I think that this article did a good job of explaining the history of Flash and why it should be preserved in a way that anyone could understand.

Article:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zoe's Zebras Logo

I was told to make a logo for Zoe's Zebras, And at first I was going to make it a zebra shop. Then I thought that that did not make because selling zebras is probably illegal  so I turned it into a wildlife protection agency for zebras. That is why I chose the shield. I chose the double Z and the single Z designs for obvious reasons but The one that looks like an hour glass was a Z that I accidentally joined, but it looked like a nice logo so I kept it. The top ones are nice and smooth but the bottom ones have missing patches to look like a zebra.

Logo With Color

I chose to use this color scheme because the green adds color but does not take over the the logo. The red adds a pop of color and complements the green. 

New Index Page

Index page link:  http://eravensonline.net/students/823cw21/ In this project we revamped our index page. We integrated things we learned from recent projects. This includes color schemes, depth, and Google web fonts. I used the background to create a good looking color scheme. I used shadows and CSS ribbons to add depth to the site. I chose two google web fonts to add, one for the headings and one for the text.